Richard Allan omni directional

Rosinen i pølseenden

Richard Allan omni directional

Indlægaf Biarritz » man 5. sep 2016 16:01

Hi,

Excuse me for not posting in Danish. I'm not from Danmark, but The Netherlands. A few years ago I bought a pair of richard Allan Loudspeakers and was very surprised by their sound quality.

In The Netherlands there is not much information available about this brand, it is faily unknown. I noticed that Google search results are mainly concentrated in the UK, Australia, Japan, Norway and Danmark.

I hope somebody has recognized my speakers. They are closed speakers with a single CG8T driver.

Thanks,

Patrick
Du har ikke de nødvendige tilladelser til at se vedhæftede filer i dette indlæg.
Biarritz

Geografisk sted: Holland
Lokalitet: Boxtel

Re: Richard Allan omni directional

Indlægaf Almarx » man 5. sep 2016 16:19

Brugeravatar
Almarx

Geografisk sted: Dollerup sogn
Lokalitet: Viborg

Indlægaf Tonni » man 5. sep 2016 18:39

Hi, and welcome Patrick!

Is there any markings, beside the Richard Allan badge, that can give any clues?
And what about measurements? Weight?

Best regards
Tonni
Bare det GLØDER!!!
Brugeravatar
Tonni

Geografisk sted: Det sorte Jyllands næserod, Lidt norden for arret!
Lokalitet: Dalbyover

Indlægaf Boptilyoudrop » man 5. sep 2016 21:00

Hi Patrick

Very interesting speakers, congrats with the find. These full range units are great stuff, and a number of us guys here have had a pair at some time. They were a very good and affordable choice in the seventies, combined with a home build voigt enclosure. Actually such speakers are my main speakers right now. Are there any porting or is it a sealed system? Have you tried to point the units towards your listening position?
Boptilyoudrop

Geografisk sted: Sy'fyn, græs mellem tæer, vand mellem øer og solen foroven
Lokalitet: Faaborg opland

Indlægaf Biarritz » man 5. sep 2016 21:59

Hi All,

Thanks for your reactions. Great to hear you know them well.

I'm currently playing the speakers facing forwards place on speakerstands. In addition I have added Coral H60 tweeters and an active subwoofer.

I use a amplifier build from parts of and old Dual record player using one ECL86 tube per channel producing about 2 watts. In addition I have a KT88 Push-Pull amplifier set in triode producing about 23 Watts. Both can drive the Richard Allan's very well, but I profere the ECL86 amp.

The size of the enclosure is 40 x 30 X 30Cm (HxWxB) and it is a sealed system.
Besides the Richard Allan badge there is a badge on the bottom, so I guess it is a genuine Richard Allan speaker, but did not find any proof on the internet.

I recently bought another set of CG8T drivers and was thinking of building a set of Ace Horns for them but then have the units face forward.

I was wondering if any of you used some kind of filtering or impedance correction?
I use the equalizer from my Raspberry Pi running PiCorePlayer to have a more lineair response
and started doing measurements using Room Equalization Wizard. The tweeter is connected with a L-Pad and 2,2Uf capacitor.

Kind regards,

Patrick
Du har ikke de nødvendige tilladelser til at se vedhæftede filer i dette indlæg.
Biarritz

Indlægaf Biarritz » tirs 6. sep 2016 15:18

Kære Bop,

I found your thread about your Ace Horn implementation with the Golden Eight. My complements. The British Racing green colour really suits your interior. Did you also apply the british flag on top of it and are you still using them?

I came across te Ace Horn design when searching for designs similar to the Dynavox UniQorn loudspeaker: http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/hug/m ... 28152.html
Actually somebody used this design with a Richard Allan driver: http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php? ... 14.344017/
A russian guy also used a simular design for is Sonido SWR-250 driver: http://tubeaudio.ucoz.ru/index/konstruk ... wr250/0-42
When comparing the measurements of all these designs they are prety equal to the Ace Horn specs.

Back in 1993 an article was published about a speaker kit from Hifi World called the KLS-2 using a modified Richard Allan CG8 and Audax tweeter. I have a copy of this article.
The coincidence is that the volume of this bass reflex cabinet is almost the same as that of the Ace Horn.

My plan is to build some test cabinet like the Ace Horn, but have the two inner pannels removable.
In the bottom I will create also a removable panel with a bass reflex pipe.
This way I can test both Ace Horn and KLS-2 design.

De bedste ønsker,

Patrick
Biarritz

Indlægaf Boptilyoudrop » ons 7. sep 2016 21:54

thanks for the nice words Patrick! Your project really looks interesting, I'm shure you are in for some great fun. I really hope you will document your progress and your impression of the speakers capabilities.

I know that Tonni have a pair of the larger super ACE with front mounted Lowter units, this version of the ACE horn have an extended bass capability. Gottschalck uses a Gulvhorn (floor horn) with Golden Eights. This is a folded voigt pipe made by a Danish hifi magazine in the seventies. In my opinion a very capable combination. A lot of Danish enthusiasts have had theses systems often combined with British, Japanese or Scandinavian full range units. Diy speakers was quite a big thing here in the seventies, I wonder if you have this trend to?
Boptilyoudrop

Indlægaf Ehapa » tors 8. sep 2016 16:27

Billede
Billede
Billede
Senest rettet af Ehapa fre 9. sep 2016 10:12, rettet i alt 2 gange.
Ehapa

Lokalitet: Frederiksberg

Indlægaf Elway » tors 8. sep 2016 19:06

Ehapa skrev:Hi, funny this tread came up .Great work...i am aboat to renovate my old original RA cabinets, they were filled up with flamingo!, the bas po....

For the non-Danish people, "flamingo" is polystyrene (insulation board). In Denmark it is known as "flamingo", because that was the name of the company that started selling polystyrene on the Danish market. There were no big pink birds in Ehapas speaker enclosures ;)
Brugeravatar
Elway

Geografisk sted: Strandkantsdanmark - Nordjylland
Lokalitet: Aalborg

Indlægaf his067 » tors 8. sep 2016 19:51

Glasuld (glass wool: another insulation material) is sold as 'fiberglass pink' in Canada.....[youtube]https://youtu.be/TIXeTbZWG-4[/youtube]
Oracle Delphi Mk 5.5, Mørch DP-8, Ortofon SPU Royal N, (Jubilee) og en masse andre pickupper, NLE17/CT102, Lyngdorf CD2, Roon Rock, Lyngdorf TDAI 3400, Sansui PS 112C HT kabler, Martin Logan Vantage....og en frygtelig masse andet.
Brugeravatar
his067
Redaktør

Geografisk sted: Aberdeen (Det rigtige Whiskybælte. Nærmeste Brænderi: Glen Garioch)
Lokalitet: Aberdeen, Skotland

Indlægaf Boptilyoudrop » lør 10. sep 2016 22:13

Ehapa skrev:Billede
Billede
Billede

alcomax lækre! :thumbsup:
Boptilyoudrop

Indlægaf Gottschalck » lør 17. sep 2016 10:25

Hi there!
Found this in a Danish magazine from 1969. RA had lot of ideas.
Jesper
Brugeravatar
Gottschalck

Geografisk sted: Ballerup
Lokalitet: Ballerup

Tilbage til Højttalere